Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I did it!
Yes my friends, I did it! After three very intense, occasionally stressful, expensive and time consuming years, I graduated from Nazarene Theological Seminary. Yes I am happy. Yes, I do feel a sense of accomplishment. Yes, I suppose I am glad to be finished (though I'm not sure what to do with all this free time). I think the thing I really feel though is grateful. Even with the late nights, studying all weekend, reading books and writing papers on my lunch break, I am so grateful for the amazing season of growth I just experienced. God was so faithful through the entire process and I am so thankful to my friends and family for being patient with me when I was writing papers instead of attending birthday parties, reading books before and after Thanksgiving dinner, and uploading moodle posts during other major life events. I am also grateful that I took my parents advice and paid my way through seminary. It was an intense experience but I am so, so grateful. So where does that leave me now?

I began graduate school thinking I had a clear calling of youth ministry. While I still enjoy working with high school students (which is helpful in my current job) I don't feel that same sense of calling now three years later. In fact, I'm not sure what the next step is on this journey. And for me, the girl that is usually described as being very determined, that makes me a little scared. But I know God is faithful. And I know He has placed passions on my heart and given my skills and abilities that He desires to use for His glory. To reflect His light.

To Be Light

I've been camping out in these verses the last couple weeks, trying to wrap my brain around what it means for me individually and what it means for the community of believers that I belong to. I'm blown away with how the chapter starts. Here is a disciple that has just been with Jesus and he can't wait to tell the people about the truth that he experienced. Not only can he not wait to share the good news, but it would make his joy complete to do so. Our joy should be made complete when we share our experiences with Christ with others. In doing so we enter into a fellowship that is richer beyond comprehension.

Next the author tells us that God is light and in Him there is no darkness (v.5). No darkness. Only light. Only truth. Only purity. Only hope. So if I am called to abide in Him and walk in His light then these are the things that should be a reflection of my life. I have so far to go.

The Road Not Taken

If someone would have told me five years ago that I would be graduating from seminary, I would have laughed at them. But here I am. I left behind what I thought was my dream job in search of a bigger plan that I knew God had in store for me. I took a path I never thought I would take. And again, God is faithful. And I know that whatever path I am headed down now, He will continue to be faithful. 

God is good. 

All the time.

Amen.

No comments: