Saturday, June 13, 2009

Famous in a Small Town


I love Saturday mornings. I love sleeping in, making coffee, and enjoying the beauty and peace that comes with mornings. I enjoyed the beautiful weather on my front porch where I picked up the book I have been reading- The Ragamuffin Gospel- and was captivated by Manning's way of reminding me that God's beautiful gift of grace is present in every created thing around us, yet so many times we fail to see it. We get caught up in the business that is life and miss out on things like a child's laughter, a gentle breeze, or the colors of summer harvest. We fail to see the deeper beauty that is all around us that our loving Abba created for us.
Usually Saturday mornings are a pretty quiet time in a small town, but this morning was a little more lively. Today the festivities for the one year celebration continued. I wondered down to the Shamrock park to find the middle school band- Guitarded, playing with my girl Hannah singing lead. How awesome is it to see the grace that God has shown this community this past year. In the way the community pulled together, the help from so many others, the spirit of rebuilding in placed in the hearts of everyone who lives here- that is truly His hand at work. I am so blessed that on this day He reminded me to look at what has happened through those eyes.
The final performance was a song Famous in a Small Town. The song reminded me again of how blessed I am to experience His grace in all that is around me. The simple things can mean the most. Seeing a friend at the gas station. Waving at someone at the post office. Watching new trees grow in an open lot. These things are all His work. Truly He is the Famous One!
Oh- and I totally want to start a Chapman FFA Band. I'm pretty excited about it. Of course that means I should probably practice a little more. I told some excited soon to be freshman girls about it- so hopefully they will be as excited as I am. ;)

1 comment:

Mrs. E said...

Can't wait to enjoy the FFA band! I'm thinking we need a new reality show-- Chapman's Got Talent. (I'm so original, aren't I??)