Thursday, June 11, 2009

Refining like silver

Exactly a year ago today, life changed in this small Kansas town. I was still in sek preparing to be gone for two weeks with BLAST Off trainings across the U.S. I was running around packing, preparing for my trips, when my best friend called me and asked me if I had heard from my parents- that Dickinson County was in a tornado watch and that several had touched down that night. I called them and my dad informed me that they had not blown away- he did not seem concerned. I tried to go to sleep, but between the phone calls from my friend and my parents calling me back, I knew that things were not right.
I woke up the next morning and left early for the airport. I didn't even get out of town before my phone started ringing. People had begun to see the photos, and the news was not good. My dad said they were not letting people into town and word was the schools were destroyed. I tryed my best to remain calm and decide what I had to do. Did I leave? Did I drive home? What was I supposed to do? My parents convinced me that I was no good at home right now, that the best thing I could do was get on the plane and they'd call me when they knew more.
Life has changed in Chapman, Kansas. I have been asked multiple times how my first year back home has been, and my reply everytime is- this isn't what I had planned. Who plans to have the school they are supposed to teach at be destroyed? Who plans to move home and have their home community turned upside down? I think it is yet another example of how we really have to idea what is ahead for us, but we must trust that no matter what happens, God is with us and He was in Chapman the night the tornado hit and I believe Holy Spirit continues to work here today in the lives of those still picking up the pieces.
One of the best comments I heard about the tornado came from our board president at our Back to School Celebration. He said- character isn't developed through adversity, it is revealed. I really believe this to be true. I have had my share of disappointment, again, this year was not what I had planned, but I hope that God has used this event to reveal His never ceasing character through me. I like what David says in Psalm 66: 8-12
"Praise our God, O peoples, let the sound of his praise be heard; he has preserved our lives and kept our feet from slipping.For you, O God, tested us; you refined us like silver.You brought us into prison and laid burdens on our backs. You let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and water, but you brought us to a place of abundance."
Sometimes bad things happen. I don't believe that our loving, merciful God makes them happen, while I do believe He is totally soverign, but I do believe that in the midst of these situations, He is there. He is there loving us past our brokeness, past the heartache, past the what might look to be an impossible situation. He is there calling out to us to reveal His character and to bring others His peace.
How has he refined me like silver through this event? I think He reminded me that sometimes those things that we hold onto so tightly- those things that might bring us comfort and pride- He wants those things too. I am grateful to live in Chapman during this time of rebuilding, but I am even more grateful that hopefully I can be a light for Him during this time and show others that while buildings will crumble and fade away, the glory and peace of Christ will sustain forever and ever. Amen.

No comments: