Sunday, June 14, 2009

Our Jealous God

4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand {generations} of those who love me and keep my commandments. " Exodus 20: 4-6
At first read, this scripture is pretty intense. Actually, every time I read this, I think it is pretty intense. Love me or die. That's kind of what is happening here. Well that doesn't seem very nice! What kind of loving God do we serve that would give us an ultimatum like that? And yet this scripture is all about love.
How cute was it when we were little and those little boy crushes we had would get jealous when we talked to another boy. It meant that they liked us enough to get jealous that we were putting someone else's attention before theirs. So let's take that example times a trillion. That's what this scripture is saying. God loves us so much that He wants all of our attention, worship, love, devotion, time, energy- everything He wants. He loves us so much that He wants all of us. And He created us and made this earth for us. Every beautiful thing there is, He made. For us. Check out this beautiful picture of his jealousy for us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoC1ec-lYps
I recently made a friend that has turned away from God. He has all the head knowledge in the world, but the questions he needs answers to, he can't find. Everything I say to him about what a loving God we have, how bad things happen that we can't control, how God is pursuing him even when he is not pursuing God- he's heard all these things. In fact, he's said them to others many, many times. I was struggling with how to minister to him and not be discouraged. It would be easy to turn away. To not get emotionally involved- much, much easier on my heart, that is for sure. And yet, that's not how Jesus calls us to live. How much easier would it have been for him to come down off the cross and say- "you know, they know how to live, they just choose not to, so why should I bother. This cross is way to painful for people that know the truth and just choose not to follow it." Yep, Christ most defintely did not do that.
I was sitting here thinking, what do I do next? God speak to me. And He did.
“Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
God has a plan. I know that He brings people into my life for a reason. I know that He will continue to bring people into my life that do not know the Lord, that maybe have it all in their head but no where near their heart. Isn't that why I want to go into ministry- for those people? Not to turn away to disciple the "easy" sheep. But to love them, right where they are, no matter the cost. No matter the cost. He loves me enough so that I may love others.
I love David Crowder. Here's some more good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIvBQj-X314&feature=related

Until next time- I'm living.............................. by grace.

2 comments:

Mrs. E said...

Isn't it nice that we don't have to have all the answeres?! Be still and know...

Pugelicious said...

I discovered your blog through Mrs E. I can relate to what was said about why do bad things happen. When my Dad died I asked the same question alot - my faith was challenged. I did a lot of soul searching - I believe that God is good - evil is random and that is why bad things happen to good people.